[TriLUG] Intrex going out of business 15 Dec

Brian Daniels via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Nov 26 18:45:14 EST 2018

On 11/26/18 2:02 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>
> hmm,
>
> I just called the Raleigh store, seeing if they had what I wanted. I
> remonstrated with the upcoming closure of the business to find that
> the person at the Raleigh store didn't know they were going out of
> business.
>
> I called the Durham store back to find that the closing isn't public
> knowledge yet. Apparently I was told because of my long term
> relationship with the store, but I wasn't told to keep the info under
> my hat.
>
> I told them I'd let the TriLUG list know and apologised for letting
> the cat out of the bag.
>
> Joe

It's been depressing watching the number of tech stores in our area
decline.  For a brief time there were multiple places to get components
- CompUSA, Stay Online (a remnant sells nothing but power cables!),
Intrex, and small hole-in-the-stripmall shops like PC Warehouse and
Systemhouse.  One by one they faded, but Intrex hung in there.

It's a shame that things are so bad that they aren't going to try
falling back to fewer locations or reduced hours.  Going to be really
annoying when you need a network cable or a power supply right now, and
only have the overpriced Best Buy stuff to choose from.

We're supposedly one of the tech hubs of the Southeast, but you sure
couldn't tell it from our retail options.

--Brian

--
And yet less thanks have we than you.  Users scowl at us, and reporters
give us scornful names.  "Geek" I am to one fat man who lives a firewall

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
       http://www.eviloverlord.net