[TriLUG] Intrex going out of business 15 Dec

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Nov 26 19:09:19 EST 2018

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018, Brian Daniels via TriLUG wrote:

> It's a shame that things are so bad that they aren't going to try
> falling back to fewer locations or reduced hours.

I think they've already tried this. They merged the Chapel Hill and Durham
location in to one at Patterson place a couple of years ago. I assume the loop
gain has dropped below 1. It's like a species going extinct when none of the
individuals can support themselves.

> Going to be really annoying when you need a network cable or a power supply
> right now, and only have the overpriced Best Buy stuff to choose from.

I liked getting free advice and assurance that although they only had a limited
selection, the device they carried, was the one from that segment of devices
with the lowest returns.

I remember asking Tim one day which of two devices I should get. He pointed to
the expensive one. I said "you're only saying that because you get more money
for selling that one". He calmly said "I get less for selling that one than I do
for selling the cheap one". He then gave me his margins on both devices. I
didn't know how they could stay in business with the slim margins he quoted.
After that I knew I could trust the people there. I've always taken their advice
and I've never had any problems because of it. I'm happy to pay the extra cost
to buy from them as I regard it as the cost of having a local business that
helps you. You don't get help from Worst Buy.

> We're supposedly one of the tech hubs of the Southeast, but you sure couldn't
> tell it from our retail options.

I called congress person David Price's office in DC a couple of years back and
asked what he was doing to foster the area as a tech hub. The phone answerer
asked what I meant.

I said that the boosters who'd created RTP back in the 70's (Soul of a New
Machine) and earlier has all passed on and that RTP was being left to run on
momentum without leadership, while other areas in the country were forging
ahead.

The phone answerer had no idea, itself a bad omen, and said to call back a
couple of days later.

I did.

What David Price had done to help RTP stay ahead was to vote for infrastructure,
which I took to mean roads and sewers.

As a result, I don't vote for David Price.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml