[TriLUG] I "discovered" a bug! ( continued )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Nov 28 15:59:24 EST 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:24:04PM -0500, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> I find it remarkable that 18.04 has so many problems. This is the worst I've seen with ubuntu. FWIW, this bug is acknowledged at

OK.  So, giving up on Ubuntu ( LTS !! ), I burned a Debian 9.6.0 ISO and
started to install it.

FINALLY, after several iterations, fighting EFI partitions, I have a
working system again.

I eventually, after doing some reading, and apparently managing to
disable the UEFI on this machine,  which will never run another
operating system, I managed to get the Debian Installer to complete.

However, that was not a working system, yet.  I still needed to go into
Rescue mode, and tell it to re-install GRUB to get it to the point where
it would boot successfully.

Along the way, I had tried to tell it to use my 250-or-so MB /boot
partition as the EFI partition, but that didn't work.  That was while I
was still trying to build an UEFI machine.  There was some message about
not being able to create a FAT filesystem on that partition.   ???

In any case, I created new LVs for Root, USR and VAR, and added in my
existing /home partition while I was doing the Debian install.  Now I
just have to re-add all of my other LVs and I expect to have a working
system again.

This has been MUCH more painful than I expected.

Onward.....

Brian