[TriLUG] why does usb card on PCIe bus need extra power to detect a disk?

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 13 17:56:55 EST 2018

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018, Brian Henning wrote:

>> I'm wondering why this PCIe card is recognised by the kernel, but needs power
>> for the external usb disk to be detected.

looking at a bunch of these cards, some of them need power (either via a Molex
ATA type connector, or through a SATA power connector), some of them proudly say
they don't need extra power and say they get it off the PCIe bus.

Some of the ones that say they need external power say they need it to power the
external disk(s). Well I already know that, but I don't know why the external
disk needs power and I don't know why the power can't come off the PCIe bus.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml