[TriLUG] How to get to text terminal when Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't work?

Nathan Yinger via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Dec 15 12:10:45 EST 2018

I recently got a Pi-Top. Obviously, when I booted it up, the first thing I
did was hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to do to the text console...and nothing happened.
Plugging in another keyboard and hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 on the other keyboard
works, but not with the built-in keyboard. The Ctrl, Alt, and Fn keys all
work normally, except when trying to get to the text console.

Any idea what could cause that, or another way to get to the text console?
chvt can change to a text terminal, but it only works if you are already in
a text terminal. loadkeys is supposed to be able to change the shortcut,
but that can only be run from a text terminal...