[TriLUG] authoring tools for technical documentation ... ?

Dewey Hylton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 19 09:44:15 EST 2018

On Dec 19, 2018, at 8:34 AM, Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org> wrote:

> We use google docs here on one team, and it is able to do all the things you
> described doing with moinmoin. Can you explain what you’re missing? You may
> just have some memorized workflows that you’ll have to adjust to get the same
> results.

> Another useful bit of info to help people answer your Q would be what the team’s
> documentation typically looks like. Do they write PDF or Word files and then
> upload them to Drive? Do they make native google docs files that have links to
> one another? If the latter, are they making use of document sections, embedded
> pictures or video, etc? Those are very different use cases that might suggest
> different tools.

In this case, I clearly missed something with google docs - and will go back and look at it again. This is good news, and may be all I need in this case.

As for the team, I'm the one unix guy - all other members are windows admins. Historically, they created word/excel documents and stuffed them into sharepoint. Recently those got scraped out of sharepoint and dropped into the google team drive. This is new to all of us, and I'm not really sure how they plan to create documentation in the future. My goal is simply to write documentation that they can (and WILL) use. The moinmoin docs are great, but as it is a separate web service and does not integrate with google that solution simply doesn't fit with the direction we've been told we're going.