[TriLUG] 512/4096B cluster size incompatibilities

Steven Tardy via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jan 1 09:57:32 EST 2019

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 8:32 PM Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
>
> I originally wrote that two 4TB disks of the same model number had
> different
> logical sector sizes.
>
> I now find that I have two 2TB disks with the same problem; one has a 512B
> locical cluster size and the other 4096B. They're both sitting in the same
> external usb drive case. One is smartctl compatible and the other isn't.
>

> both are
>
> Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
> Device Model:     ST2000DM001-1ER164
>
> /dev/sdb is
> Firmware Version: CC26
> 512B logical sector size
> not smartctl compatible
>

> /dev/sdc is
> Firmware Version: 0958
> 4096B logical sector size
> is smartcl compatible.
>
> Anyone know if I can flash these drives? Is this likely to fix the problem?

Google: seagate disk firmware
Brings you to a page to enter your SN to check, but both of those SNs
return: no firmware found for this SN

I would change the copy method from `dd` to something a little higher level
like `dump`/`restore` or maybe create the file systems on the destination
disk and `rsync`.

Hope either of those options work.