[TriLUG] 512/4096B cluster size incompatibilities

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jan 1 11:31:17 EST 2019

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019, Steven Tardy wrote:

>> Anyone know if I can flash these drives? Is this likely to fix the problem?
>
> Google: seagate disk firmware Brings you to a page to enter your SN to check,
> but both of those SNs return: no firmware found for this SN

thanks. I expect that they wouldn't tell me what the logical sector size would
be after the flashing.

> I would change the copy method from `dd` to something a little higher level
> like `dump`/`restore` or maybe create the file systems on the destination disk
> and `rsync`.

that's what I'm doing now that I know what the problem is.

I'm surprised that dd and ddrescue don't emit errors.

I would hope that both disks were OK by smartctl.

Thanks Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml