[TriLUG] 512/4096B cluster size incompatibilities

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jan 5 13:53:33 EST 2019

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019, David Burton wrote:

>> after swapping slots in the external enclosure

.
.

> *Whoa!  This is the drive that WAS looking good; after swapping it to the
> other slot it now shows WRONG sector size and WRONG firmware!*

.
.

> *This is the drive that WAS goofed up; now it's fine!*

.
.

> *No!  The problem is with the external enclosure slot.  The drives are both
> fine!*

Well thank you David,

I have

o an eSATA single slot external enclosure (my control enclosure)

o a usb/eSATA external dual slot external enclosure (the one where I noticed
the problem).

Between the two enclosures, I have three slots to put a drive in.

I have two identical 2TB model Seagate drives, bought the same time, type
ST2000DM001-1ER164

In one of the usb/eSATA external slots (same result whether connecting through
usb or eSATA), either drive is seen as

o 512/512 logical/physical

o firmware version 0958

o is not properly detected by smartctl

o fdisk partitions it as 512B sectors

In the other slot in the dual slot external usb enclosure and in the eSATA
single slot external enclosure, either drive is

o 512/4096 logical/physical

o firmware version CC26

o properly detected by smartcle

o fdisk partitions it as 4096B sectors

So it is the enclosure. David picked that I didn't do the swap right. Thanks
for your diligence there David.

I'm now surprised that Vantec, the enclosure manufacturer hasn't noticed this.
They've been producing external drives for at least a decade.

Under Win7 neither drive is detected through the eSATA port, whereas Linux
detects both drives.

Steven suggested that I look at the SeaTools by Seagate. The tools scanned for
usb drives, but didn't detect them, even though Win7 sees them in the disk
management window. From my only other time using them, I wasn't too surprised. I
wasn't encouraged enough to try the fast format software.

I'm surprised that one disk will be formatted with 512B sectors in one slot and
as 4096 sectors in another slot. I has assumed that the sector size is hardware
dependant.

Thanks David for your continuing efforts here.

Can anyone recommend a dual slot external usb/eSATA enclosure?

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml