[TriLUG] nixos recommendation

Casey Ransom via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 21 18:26:45 EST 2019

I've been using NixOS personally and professionally for nearly 5 years now.
I think if I were hand cuffed to not use it, I'd start looking for other
work because it's such a game changer when it clicks.

Personally, I love it for the atomic upgrades and the rare occasional
emergency roll back and that I have a configuration management system
without pulling out chef/ansible/etc at home.

At work, I use it to generate disk images for AWS, with fully baked
software and configuration (including secrets, they are decrypted via KMS)
for no-fear deployments and code updates. It replaced an aging and brittle
chef setup. When our rails service needs extra horse power, the auto
scaling group has new machines up and ready in rotation in around 60
seconds, 30 of that is booting and the other 30 waiting for health checks
to start to clear.

The secondary sales pitch, even if you don't go in for the full NixOS
experience, you can install Nix (the package manager) itself on Linux/macOS
and run all the stuff that's painful to introduce to your current distro.
Multiple Ruby's installed without conflicting gems, python2 + 3 living
happily together, java versions, no problem. And if you haven't seen the
light after exploring, you purge /nix and some other files in your .profile
and /etc and it's gone.

-casey