[TriLUG] nixos recommendation

Ken M via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 21 21:34:31 EST 2019

I don't have that kind of time in by any means. So far setting up 2 home
use machines has been a breeze. Some minor differences in their use case
but not enough to prevent starting from the same configuration.nix file.

So far the few snags I have hit where more needing to learn more of the
nix way to do things, or where overdue changes.

An example of the latter, mostly I am a developer, I use vim for my
primary editor/IDE. I use vundle to handle my vim plugins and one of
them I use is YouCompleteMe. YCM just does not work well on nix, and
frankly that is more of a statement of YCM as YCM has given me headaches
here and there across different platforms.

So I figured it is finally time to jump to neovim. Which makes sense. Be
used to a vanilla vim for admin tasks and my init.vim for nvim has all
the goodies. Plus that switch lead to using deoplete instead for vim.
But on top of that I go all the way nix I could ditch the vundle path
and allow nix to manage my vim/neovim plugins.

That is just an example of the overdue change, to explain myself better.

Ken