[TriLUG] Mechanical Keyboard Repair?

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 25 15:45:16 EST 2019

Brand is almost irrelevant.  Your concerns should be gauge and lead content.

If you're planning to do much SMT work with an iron and solder wire, the narrower the better.  20 mils (0.020", 0.5 mm) or smaller.

If you don't mind a bit of dementia, a 60/40 Sn/Pb blend is fine, although I like to look for silver-bearing (2% Ag).  If you'd prefer to maintain your mental faculties, go for Pb-free.

Most electronics solder will be flux-core, but some might not be.  Flux-core is definitely preferable, as the flux aids tremendously with wetting.

Obviously avoid plumbing solder, as that will likely be acid-core (not to mention huge).

All that said, Kester is a well-known, well-trusted brand.  I'd also trust MG Chemicals.  I'd also use solder I found in a mud puddle.  Here's a link to Arrow:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/search?prodline=Solders&selectedType=plNames

-Brian