[TriLUG] Dev/Ops research

Jonc@nc.rr.com via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 27 11:13:47 EDT 2019

There are as many definitions of DevOPs as folks who claim to be Dev Ops

I’m one such individual. Basically it’s Ops with the addition of automation - lots of automation.
Any repetitive task is automated. Systems are constantly scanned and monitored. Monitoring is for basic health plus any conditions that indicate future issues (trending metrics such as apps using more and more RAM). Any issues or pre-issues are are corrected via automated remediation tools.
Deployment of new servers is mostly automated
Deployment of security is also mostly automated

So DevOps manage these systems, and step in where necessary to intervene - and then add a new conditional to the automation systems, so they don’t need to manually intervene in that situation again.
It’s a race to automate yourself out of a job; but a race you never win.

Jon  Carnes