[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

shay walters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 13 11:36:22 EDT 2019

    If it's actually not spinning up, in the past something that has worked
for me is to connect the drive with cables that give you a little slack,
and manually rotate the drive along the spin axis just as you apply power.
(Be careful not to get too enthusiastic and cause any of the cables to come
unplugged.)  :-)  Many, many years ago I had a computer that I had to do
this with any time it got powered off, but once it was running, it was
fine, and I ran it for years.
    I've seen some videos of opening up a drive that had the head stuck to
the platter, and manually rotating the platter while retracting the head,
but once you break that seal, you're just asking for trouble, unless you
have some sort of clean environment to do the work in.

-Shay