[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 13 12:49:35 EDT 2019

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019, shay walters via TriLUG wrote:

>    I've seen some videos of opening up a drive that had the head stuck to
> the platter, and manually rotating the platter while retracting the head,
> but once you break that seal, you're just asking for trouble, unless you
> have some sort of clean environment to do the work in.

If you have no other option, it's worth it to try to get the data off. You only
need to access the drive once. Hopefully any trouble doesn't start till later.

Apparently taking the lid off a drive isn't as traumatic as I thought. I once
offered to backup someone's laptop drive, a process which involved taking the
drive out and dd'ing it on another machine. I told him to take the drive out and
give it to me. He assured me he could handle it. He handed me the drive with the
lid off (platter and heads visible) saying "here you are". I didn't let him know
that I thought he'd stewed his (un backed-up) drive. I had thought that the lid
had a bearing for the top end of the spindle, but there was no bearing in the
lid. The lid was just a cover. It seems that the drive is only supported at the
bottom (at least for laptop drives). He put the lid back on, screwed it shut, we
backed it up and it's been running ever since.

To the OP; if you get the drive running, back it up with ddrescue asap.

https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-to-linux/2017/3/gnu-ddrescue-best-damaged-drive-rescue

make sure you use a logfile so the second run of ddrescue only goes to the
unrecovered sectors.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml