[TriLUG] Ubuntu 18.04 upgrade problem

Aaron Schrab via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Apr 16 10:04:49 EDT 2019

At 17:19 -0400 15 Apr 2019, Pete Soper via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>How do I undo whatever has tricked my system into thinking it has the
>necessary local files to do the upgrade below? Seems if I can somehow
>force the upgrade to go back out for the pieces and parts I'll have a
>chance of working around this. This was a side effect of a periodic
>"apt-get update;apt-get upgrade" or the equivalent by software updater.

>dpkg: error processing archive
>/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-dev-armhf-cross_2.27-3ubuntu1cross1.1_all.deb

The line above is the location of the downloaded packages. You could try
clearing out that directory, but I doubt if it would help. dpkg will
check the integrity of the packages before it tries to use them; if
they're corrupted it will just ignore the cached copy and download a new
one.

>(--unpack):
> unable to open '/usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib/Mcrt1.o.dpkg-new': No such
>file or directory

This and the similar line further down are the real errors. For some
reason dpkg isn't able to create files in the
`/usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib/` directory. The package should include
all of the leading directories, so that tends to indicate that there's
some deeper problem such as filesystem corruption or misconfigured
Mandatory Access Control.

I'd run `sudo mkdir /usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf{,/lib}` to attempt to
create the containing directory manually. dpkg should be doing that on
it's own, even replacing any conflicting files, broken symlinks, or
device entries.  Trying that manually may reveal more about why it
wasn't able to do so.