[TriLUG] Load balancing DNS servers

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 3 11:41:20 EDT 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019, Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG wrote:

> How would you load balance them so you only have to provide a single
> IP to the clients?

LVS loadbalances readonly services. The loadbalancer is accessed through a
single IP, that of the LVS director, but the reply comes from one of the
loadbalanced servers behind the director. The reply has the src_addr of the
director.

> If those servers also do DHCP, how would the updates be shared with each node
> so everyone will be on the same page? What about leases?

I started with the ISC dhcpd. It's supposed to loadbalance and send updates of
issued IPs to the other servers. However it doesn't take long (hours, depending
on traffic) before some table fills up and you have to restart the servers. I
never figured out the problem and no-one on the ISC mailing list was helpful.

However, AFAIK a dhcpd is not supposed to issue an IP that's already in use,
even if it's in the range of IPs that the dhcpd server controls and even if that
dhcpd _didn't_ issue that IP. (presumably you're allowed to come onto a network
with a fixed IP in the dhcpd's controlled range, without messing up the
network). I think the dhcpd pings for that IP before handing it out. So you can
have multiple dhcpds running, all issuing IPs in the same range, without the
dhcpd's colliding. I turned off the ISC updater and just left the two dhcpds
running at the same time and it works fine.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml