[TriLUG] Load balancing DNS servers

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 3 12:03:49 EDT 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2019, Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG wrote:
>
>> How would you load balance them so you only have to provide a single
>> IP to the clients?

not load balancing, but...

I'm running a pi-hole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi-hole

which provides adblocking at the DNS level.

It assumes a network geometry which is OK for people who use external DNS
servers. Although changing the network is simple from the logical point
of view, finding the files to fix this wasn't easy. The use dns-masq and the
config file is pages long and I had to figure out how dns-masq works.

I use the pi-hole has my primary DNS and it accesses the two local DNS servers
that were here originally

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml