[TriLUG] MythTV and kin

John Franklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 24 11:08:30 EDT 2019

> On May 24, 2019, at 10:37 AM, John Mitchell via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
> Do you need the DVR function?
> (hard to beat a Raspberry Pi and LibreELEC)
> john mitchell

One more to consider: Kodi on a Pi.  IIRC, installing was simple as “apt install kodi”.  I think I had to create a systemd unit file to get it to start on boot, but that was trivial enough.  (Read: I probably copied it from some blog.)

Actually, a Pi plus anything you want to run.  The Pi supports HDMI-CEC [1] as do most (if not all) TVs released in the last few years.  That means in most cases, you can use your TV’s remote to control the Pi.  If you have a Roku 4 and it’s enabled on your TV (you may need to turn it on in a menu), then touching any of the Roku remote’s buttons will turn on the TV and change the input to the Roku. [2]

[1] a.k.a. Simplink, E-link, NetCommand, RIHD, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link, EasyLink, Kuro Link...
[2] YMMV.  TV firmware is such a [colorful euphemism], who knows what will happen.  If your blender turns on, I wouldn’t be surprised, but I would wonder why you have an IoT blender.  Or maybe not.  This is a LUG, after all.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org