[TriLUG] MythTV and kin

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 24 10:44:28 EDT 2019

On Friday, May 24, 2019 9:55:23 AM EDT Matthew Glassman via TriLUG wrote:
> Does (or has) anyone here tinkered or used MythTV?  I am thinking about
> seeing if I can use it with my upstairs tv to maybe get it receiving more
> than just 2 stations of PBS, but I may be thinking about its usage the
> wrong way.

Hi Matthew,

I have looked at Myth, but haven't tried it since I have a satellite system
DVR. However, it seems to get good reports from users once it is setup.

However, that should not really be a factor as to how many stations you are
able to receive.

The number of sub-channels received at your location is a function of signal
level and signal quality available at the tuner and whether or not you have
rescanned your tuner since the last PSIP update at the transmitting station.

I would first recommend that you rescan your tuner to see if you gain
additional sub-channels (PIDs) since the last time you scanned it. It's likely
that the station has updated their PSIP since this occurs somewhat regularly.

If that doesn't help, check the signal level/quality at the tuner to make sure
your getting an adequate signal level and not pixelating (or getting video
drop outs occasionally.) Many TV tuners have a signal level meter available in
the setup section which can give you an indication as to your signal level.

If the signal level is good, but you're pixelating (or getting drop outs,) it
is likely that you have multi-path reflections in you received signal and will
need to adjust your antenna direction in order to eliminate them.

Best of luck with it...

cheers,
Bill