[TriLUG] MythTV and kin

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 24 17:13:11 EDT 2019

On Friday, May 24, 2019 11:00:03 AM EDT you wrote:
> So upstairs in South Durham, I have a Samsung SmartTV that is connected to
> a Mohu Leaf (I don't recall the range).  The Leaf is as high up on the wall
> as it (or I) can go.

Mathew,

I would recommend you install an outdoor antenna. Typically indoor wall
mounted antennas are just not good enough for reliable reception of all the
stations in this area.

Further complicating the issue is the location of the station transmitters
relative to your location. Many will be at different azimuths requiring antenna
rotation to maximize reception.

I recommend that you check out the National Association of Broadcasters
Antenna Selection guide at the following URL:

https://antennaweb.org/

Input your address and it will tell you what stations can be received at your
location and give you an antenna recommendation, azimuth, and distance  to the
transmitter from your location. It will also give you the 'frequency repack
information' for each broadcaster.

As many may not be aware, broadcasters are currently in the process of
'repacking' the TV spectrum to allow for more wireless spectrum usage. This
means most broadcasters will be changing frequencies in the near future. When
you install a new TV reception system you should take this into account.

> I have an Silicon Valley Homerun tuner card and a
> spare computer that is collecting dust.  I do not believe I would need the
> DVR part of the equation but I realize that Myth records as it displays and
> then shows can be tagged to be kept.

That should work fine with the proper antenna.

> However I thought I recall back in
> the day that you could sign up to get a guide and access to channels that
> you normally wouldn't have.  This was back when cord cutting was first
> starting out and I was looking at alternatives to reduce cable bill.

A few years back there was an over-the-air free television guide provided by
local broadcasters (i.e.: WRAL.) That functionality has since been
discontinued.

> Right
> now via a phone upgrade deal with ATT I have directtv now through an apple
> tv but upstairs is all OTA.

IPTV is another good alternative for TV via either Apple TV or Roku. However
now many IPTV channels also require a cable or satellite subscription. :(

Cheers,
Bill