[TriLUG] Ubuntu Won't Boot (after update)

Matthew Glassman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jun 6 15:59:59 EDT 2019

Hello everyone,

Running Ubuntu 18.04 (Graphical) in a VirtualBox and was working fine.  Got
the update notification and told it to go ahead and install updates.
Updates installed and told it to go ahead an reboot the VM instance.   Done
this plenty of times with no problems.   This time the VM reboots and it
starts loading Ubuntu with the splash screen (Ubuntu title with the little
dots under it).  Next thing I know that disappears and then the Ubuntu logo
shows up at the bottom of the screen and I can't do anything.

I've tried booting to a different kernel.  FSCK didn't find anything
wrong.  Tried to boot in to recovery mode and uninstall recent packages,
but none of the apt commands work.  Doesn't seem to be able to go out and
fetch or update anything.  Can't ping or nslookup, but ifconfig (from root
prompt) shows the network getting an IP and the DNS is the same as it has
been.  Anyone run into this?

One other item of note, prior to the Ubuntu Splash screen it says.
Recovering Journal
/dev/sda1 (the HDD) clean
[15.577368] [drm:vmw_host_log] [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send log

Thanks,
Matthew