[TriLUG] Ubuntu 18.04 Problems

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 11 09:02:10 EDT 2019

On Monday, June 10, 2019 5:11:05 PM EDT Steve Litt via TriLUG wrote:
> I had no idea how bad things have gotten with Ubuntu, which I quit
> using in January 2014. The thought of backing up to the bare metal
> every time I upgrade would be daunting.

Hi Steve,

I'm not specifically pointing a finger at Ubuntu. I have had similar issues
occur over the years with other O/S products as well (..mostly, although not
always, caused by hardware failures.)

While I understand your point regarding the time involved, in a business
application, not having bare metal backup is tantamount to playing 'russian
roulette'. You may never have an O/S problem, or you may have an O/S problem
occur tomorrow.

Regardless, it is seen by management as the system administrators
responsibility to preserve and protect the information technology assets of
the business and to insure the business systems are always up and available
for use when needed, no matter the time expenditure necessary in order to do
so.

Consequently, in my opinion, having a current bare metal backup is just 'the
cost of doing business' and an expected task.

In a personal application... It's obviously an individual decision.

Cheers,
Bill