[TriLUG] Ubuntu 18.04 Problems

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 10 17:11:05 EDT 2019

On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 10:20:45 -0400
Bill Weinel via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Friday, June 7, 2019 9:45:16 PM EDT Roger W. Broseus via TriLUG
> wrote:
> > I have avoided upgrading for the very reasons that you give. There
> > are just too many reports of problems with 18.04.
>
> After dealing with a failed upgrade in the past, I have found that
> the best policy is to always have a complete clone of your operating
> system drive PRIOR to preforming any major system upgrade.
>
> Before installing any major upgrade, I use 'Clonezilla Live' on a USB
> stick to make a clone of my O/S drive. By booting the Live system for
> a backup, you don't change anything on the original O/S drive.
>
> The biggest downfall in this procedure is the amount of time it adds
> to the upgrade process.

I had no idea how bad things have gotten with Ubuntu, which I quit
using in January 2014. The thought of backing up to the bare metal
every time I upgrade would be daunting.

I use Void Linux, a close-to-the metal a-la-carte distro, which happens
to be rolling release. Every day or two I do an xbps-install -Su to
upgrade everything. It's atomic,  so when it fails on one piece of
software it fails on them all. In the 4 years I've used Void there have
probably only been 5 times when I actually got myself into a state I
couldn't have gotten out of, and most of these were very early in my
Void usage. I've never needed to restore from backup due to a blown
upgrade.

So I back up just my data every couple days. If I needed to restore,
that would be a 16 hour job, but it just never happens.

If my distro gave me that much reason to distrust, I'd switch distros.
Devuan and Mint are just a couple possibilities of similar distros.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2019 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive