[TriLUG] Strangeness in the Zip-world

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 3 18:05:22 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 05:53:03PM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> Also curious what `file` says it is compared with a file created on the
> system you're trying to unzip on.

Very good question.

OK, the successful files, the ones that already existed on my system,
are said by "file" to be: Zip archive data, at least ( either v1.0 or
v2.0 ) to extract.

The file that was provided by Customer Support, that I can not open with
unzip, is said by "file" to be: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to
extract, while the files in the web site data, at least the first one
that I looked at, is: data.  When I looked at it with hexdump, it is NOT
a PKZip file.  There are a LOT of these "zip" files in the web server,
so I will do spot checks, but I suspect that I will find a lot of them
are not zip files, if they were all created in the same way.

The plot thickens.

Thank you both,
Brian