[TriLUG] recent "Poor Reputation Sender" bounces

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 9 00:04:33 EDT 2019

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 23:15:13 +0000 (GMT)
Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> The last couple of days I've been getting
> Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
> bounces when sending from trilug.org to addresses that normally go
> through.

You should add: "from Mimecast only"?

Mimecast is quickly becoming known as the goto for corporate noreply@
spam and random invoices and statements from real companies and/or
everyone and anyone whom wants to blast out email from noreply@

imnsho, Mimecast and the Mimecast community are spammers themselves.

This is easily checked by running Mimecast IP and mail servers through
independent international reputation RBL & Dnsbl...

> The problem is that I can't tell from the message if pilot is the
> problem.

In your headers, no, the bounce is "reputation"
Okay, "Mimecast" has their own methods for scoring your mail server,
but you can get an independent (and high trust) checklist here:

http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/

In the example of 208.79.82.66 the 3x RFC means nothing much as almost
everyone is now hard bouncing if you do not have reverse name set to IP
as this prevents AS hijacked ranges from attacking your email server
randomly. The hard liners that are refusing the RFC ammendments are
themselves spammers/hijackers/or insert name of whatever hidden and
secret agenda promoter here...

> Here's the bounce message (recipient's e-mail address deleted).
>
> Is this a problem with pilot? Can it be fixed?

Mimecast relays email from many huge corporates and corporate spammers,
You can go through a mitigation or removal process for your mail
server, but personally I have found it easier and more effective to just
tell the recipient that their email is broken and get a different email
address

here is the link to request a review of your IP:
https://community.mimecast.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mimecast.com%2Fsenderfeedback

From here:
550	Local CT IP Reputation - (reject)
https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550