[TriLUG] recent "Poor Reputation Sender" bounces

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 9 06:08:46 EDT 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019, ac via TriLUG wrote:

> You should add: "from Mimecast only"?

Clearly I don't understand the situation.

> In the example of 208.79.82.66 the 3x RFC means nothing much as almost
> everyone is now hard bouncing if you do not have reverse name set to IP
> as this prevents AS hijacked ranges from attacking your email server
> randomly.

I didn't pick that 208.79.82.66 was pilot. I had no idea who rootbsd.net was.

$ host pilot.trilug.org
pilot.trilug.org has address 208.79.82.66

$ host 208.79.82.66
66.82.79.208.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 2098.x.rootbsd.net.

So from what you say, then many people will be hard bouncing e-mail from pilot.

I notice that pilot is nat'ed.

pilot: $ ifconfig | grep "inet addr"
     inet addr:192.168.122.3

> You can go through a mitigation or removal process for your mail
> server, but personally I have found it easier and more effective to just
> tell the recipient that their email is broken and get a different email
> address

I was sending to a CS person at a university. I don't expect them to get a
different e-mail address because pilot's reverse DNS doesn't match its forward
DNS.

I know that pilot is hosted at a data center somewhere in Raleigh and we only
have the machine by the good graces of the data service. Since pilot is NAT'ed,
is it true that we're never going to have our own reverse DNS?

> hth

thanks

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml