[TriLUG] recent "Poor Reputation Sender" bounces

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 9 11:04:19 EDT 2019

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 10:41:29 -0400
Matt Flyer via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 10:08 +0000, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> > I notice that pilot is nat'ed.
> > pilot: $ ifconfig | grep "inet addr"
> >      inet addr:192.168.122.3
> > I was sending to a CS person at a university. I don't expect them to
> > get a
> > different e-mail address because pilot's reverse DNS doesn't match
> > its forward
> > DNS.
> > I know that pilot is hosted at a data center somewhere in Raleigh
> > and we only
> > have the machine by the good graces of the data service. Since pilot
> > is NAT'ed,
> > is it true that we're never going to have our own reverse DNS?
> Two comments: One, the 192.168.122.3 is an RFC1918 address, which
> means it is not publicly routable (or shouldn't be as I've caught the
> company formerly known as Slime Warner sending packets with these
> addresses to my modem's public IP).  It is only usable on a private
> network.

this thread makes no sense.

550 is a "hard bounce" - it is more commonly or generally used to
indicate that there exists no such recipient....

And, 550 csi.mimecast.org Poor Reputation Sender. -
https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550

Has nothing to do with the pvt NAT ip but everything to do with the reputation of the public IP.

It also has nothing to do with no reverse of the public IP (That has its own "code")

> Doing a quick look around on Pilot, the eth0 interface is configured
> by DHCP and it gets assigned a default gateway of wm-net, which
> resolves to 192.168.122.1. So yes, it is obviously NAT'ted.  However,
> as it can accept inbound connections it is likely a 1:1
> dereferencing, which leads to the second comment.
> Two, I would expect that the hosting provider has an option in the DNS
> configuration to assign the reverse lookup record.  It should be
> somewhere in or around the section where you assign the forward A
> record and other custom entries.

Even setting a reverse or a different reverse should not change the current bounce.

hth

Andre