[TriLUG] Retrieve emails from old server

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 25 16:33:11 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 2:25 PM Aaron Schrab via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> At 12:34 -0400 22 Jul 2019, John Mitchell via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> >I admin (web site & email) a site for a small company. I just moved
> >everything to a new provider for them, we're up and running ok (the old
> >provider had a meltdown).
> >  My question is how can I pull the emails from the old server? I have all
> >the passwords and names, I'm just not familiar with a process to pull them.
> >I considered using a client (like claws-mail), setting it up for one user,
> >connecting and receiving. Is this feasible or a better way is to do???
>
> If you have IMAP access for both the old and new systems, there are a
> number of utilities available to copy messages between those. A few that
> I found from a quick search through the Debian archive:
>
> https://www.offlineimap.org/
> http://isync.sourceforge.net/
> http://mailsync.sourceforge.net/
> https://git.guilhem.org/interimap/
>
> I used to use that first one quite heavily, including contributing a few
> patches for it. But, that was a long time ago; somewhere around the turn
> of the century. My use for that was also quite a bit different.

      I myself have used getmail to suck all the email from my old
mail server, saving it in maildir format. It was fast. When I did the
same with this very gmail account (to cut it down), for some reason it
would only grab around 2K emails at a time, so it took a while. I did
that early in the year using a docker container; I can provide
instructions and/or save this for a quick presentation.