[TriLUG] OT: comms inside a corrugated metal building

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 15 08:51:12 EDT 2019

For a bit more general solution than John suggested, I did some work for
a client using AT&T cell and my signal in my basement here in the
boonies stunk. I got a relatively cheap ($350 from memory) box that had
a weatherproof antenna connected/powered by a plain 75 ohm coax cable
(like TV/satellite cable) that I pointed at the nearest AT&T tower from
outside the house. Inside the house was a box that acted as a repeater
to put the signal into my shop. There is a straight forward process to
register these devices with AT&T so they can be confident that your high
powered repeater inside the metal building is not a "loud" signal in a
dense apartment complex that will hose up your neighbors and cause AT&T
to be blamed, or worse, piss off the FCC. This worked extremely well and
my cell modem connect times went from minutes to seconds. No doubt AT&T
sells or leases these things too.

-Pete