[TriLUG] Some updated notes about LXD

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 5 01:16:01 EDT 2019

----- Forwarded message from brian mullan <bmullan.mail at gmail.com> -----

I really enjoyed presenting to TriLUG and realized I forgot to mention 2
things about LXD.

*LXD has an free-to-use online Demo system* that people can try out using a
live LXD system.

*https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/try-it/*
<https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/try-it/>

*Terms of service*

By using the LXD demonstration server, you agree that:

   -

   Access to this service may be revoked at any time for any reason
   -

   Access to this service is solely provided to evaluate LXD
   -

   Your IP address, access time and activity on the test server may be
   recorded
   -

   Any abuse of this service may lead to a ban or other applicable actions

The demo environment comes with the following restrictions:

   -

   30 minutes limit per session
   -

   Limit of 4 sessions per IP
   -

   2 shared CPU cores
   -

   256MB of dedicated memory
   -

   10GB of dedicated disk space
   -

   IPv6 only network connectivty with limited connectivity (whitelist)

*Second and more important???*

*The LXD developers are currently implementing the ability of the LXD
Daemon to orchestrate & manage KVM Virtual Machines (VMs) along-side LXD???s
???system??? Containers.*

This LXD VM support will not require anything like Virt-Manager and for the
initial release of there will be some limitations such as only supporting
Ubuntu KVM VM instances
until additional work is completed when all the other Linux Distro's that
LXD supports w/Containers (Fedora, CentOS, Debian, SUSE, Oracle, etc) will
all be supported as well.

*There is a LXD GitHub ???issue??? thread discussing the progress*:
* https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/6205
<https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/6205>*

As part of this addition of VM support to the existing LXD Daemon's
"system" Container support
*they are going to be calling LXD's *
*KVM VMs and LXD Containers both  "Instances" *now instead of "VM" or
"Container".

*I think this will be a very exciting technology to watch for many reasons!*

*Lastly, my latest personal work (with LXD orientation) has been centered
around 3 different Open Source Linux oriented approaches to a Solution fo*
*r *
*how to interconnect multi-tenant, multi-cloud LXD "system" Container
Servers/Hosts:*

   1. *Using VXLAN/EVPN & BGP to interconnect multi-tenant, multi-cloud LXD
   Servers/Hosts.*
   2. *Using just VXLAN, BGP & BGP Route Reflectors (VRFs) to interconnect
   multi-tenant, multi-cloud LXD Servers/Hosts.*
   3. *Using a full-mesh, auto-learning VPN  to interconnect multi-tenant,
   multi-cloud LXD Servers/Hosts.*

For* # 2 and #3 I have each working quite well using a 3 Server/Host setup*:

   - *one local Server/Host*
   - *one AWS Cloud instance *
   -
*and one Hetzner Cloud (Hetzner is in Germany) instance *

For *#1 I have a design & initial configuration but have not tested it yet.*

*But as its a bit more complicated than #2 and #3 I am guessing it may take
some time yet :-)*

Keep in touch...

Brian

----- End forwarded message -----