[TriLUG] Financial Status (The pizza email)

Warren Myers via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 10 14:05:21 EDT 2019

This is a case of, “when it’s everyone’s problem, it’s no one’s problem”

I no longer live in the Triangle area, so only “participate” as a [mostly] lurker on the mailing list, and by telling folks I know in/near Raleigh about topics I think they might like to hear about

That said, when I live in RTP, I *always* dropped several bucks in the pizzabucks bucket when I came - even paying for a whole pizza (honestly, they’re $6 from Domino’s - is it *THAT* hard to drop a couple Washingtons when you’re grabbing 3 mushroom slices?) was a cheap night out for myself: and it helped *everyone* even when I didn’t “eat my share”

Personally, I’d be all-for an annual membership fee *FOR NEW MEMBERS*, and maybe a one-time “this is how much TriLUG has meant to me” donation/fee request for *ALL EXISTING MEMBERS*

Maybe you can’t pay in cash.

Maybe you don’t live nearby (like myself).

There *are* other ways to support the group: offer to pay a hosting bill for a month (I don’t know the current TriLUG server specs, but if it were hosted at a place like Digital Ocean, we’d be talking what? $20/mo for ample server and storage for everything TriLUG.org does?)

For other orgs, for example, I’ve been known to donate storage and bandwidth off servers I am already running for my own purposes.

You could also send a Pizza Hut, Papa John’s, or Domino’s gift card to someone on the Steering Committee to help with pizza in the future. Heck! Where I live, Kroger offers 2x and 4x (sometimes) fuel points on gift cards! Buy a $100 Domino’s card, get 20-40 cents off your next fillup!

-WMM