[TriLUG] Cable modem / Router recommendations

brian mullan via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Nov 29 12:19:48 EST 2019

Hi

I worked at Cisco Systems for many years and for much of that was their
senior mgr for Broadband advanced services (consulting) with Time Warner,
Comcast, Cox, Cablevision, Charter, Telstra etc as my customers so here
is my .02...

if you can get a Cable Modem from Spectrum "for free" then I'd do that.
I've been with Spectrum for quite awhile and when I got my account
they were charging a  monthly fee so I just went on their website & found
their list of Cable Modem's theysay are compatible and bought one off
Ebay and its worked well ever since.

One thing i would say is no matter where or what Cable Modem you get don't
use
the Cable Modem's built-in WiFi.

Cable Modems are one of the most mass-produced products you will find and as
such they implement the most cost-effective (re inexpensive) components.

The WiFi is where they cut corners a lot.

So just buy a good WiFi router (I use ASUS but there are alot of good
choices) and connect your Wifi Router to the Cable Modem.

With wireless C mode I get about 165 Mbps thruput down and 25Mbps up.

FYI - that is more about double what I got with the Cable Modem's WiFi but
more importantly
is using my own WiFi my distance is very much greater and covers my whole
house.

Brian