[TriLUG] Cable modem / Router recommendations

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Nov 29 22:06:52 EST 2019

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 11:36:57 -0500
Glenn Hennessee via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Your friend needs to check the list of authorized modems at
> https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/
> They will not provide support for modems not obtained through them. As
> far as I know they do not charge for their modems unless that has
> changed recently. I bought my own several years ago when they were
> going to a $8 a month rental. I saved the purchase price in less than
> a year. Glenn

The problem comes in when anything goes wrong for any reason. The
standard in the industry is "oh, a part of  your system isn't from us?
Well, the defect is in that part, and we don't service it. Meanwhile,
you have neither the tools nor the permissions to troubleshoot their
wiring outside your house and around the neighborhood.

I just pay the eight bucks a month, and vote for anti-monopoly
politicians, when I can find them.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr