[TriLUG] Spectrum vs AT&T

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jan 18 15:28:23 EST 2020

On 1/17/20 4:39 PM, David Reid via TriLUG wrote:

> You may want to check out samknows.com for one of their free devices that
> collects statistics on your internet connection. allowing you to see if
> you're getting what you're paying for and can compare performance of
> different ISPs.. You can get a monthly report emailed to you.

I had a look. The devices are not exactly free. The device doesn't just collect
data; the device forwards it to samknows.com too. They say that they use it for
something like "improving our service", which means that they can do what they
like with it.

So they're farming you.

The output they show you doesn't look any different/better to any of the
standard linux network monitoring guis, none of which phone home.

You can also test your bandwidth to the ISP with iperf3

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml