[TriLUG] Spectrum vs AT&T

Chris via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jan 16 14:24:09 EST 2020

I don’t live out that way anymore, but I switched from spectrum to AT&T while we were out there.  I never had a problem with the 300Mb fiber we had for the time we were out there.  The connection consistently speed tested at ~370Mbps in both directions.

The setup took a bit more work though, because their gateway has a certificate for authentication, so I had to turn off wireless broadcasting on their gateway and turn on what they called DMZ+ mode to pass all traffic to my router of choice.  I think I saw recently there may be a more seamless way to user your own router now.

If AT&T offers fiber in my me neck of the woods (it’s around in other neighborhoods and I think they buried some more over the summer), I will probably switch back, and one again leave Spectrum.

I can’t speak to U-Verse, other than to say my in-laws have it and like it, because we cut the cord a long time ago.

Chris Bickhaus