[TriLUG] Spectrum vs AT&T

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 22 18:37:25 EST 2020

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 9:32 AM Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 9:21 AM David Both via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
> wrote:
> >> I had some concerns about needing static IP addresses and with issues I
> >> have seen with blocked ports like 25 for email. I run my own web and
> >> email servers so that was important to me. After a chat session with a
> >> fairly knowledgeable rep and talking with a sales person on the phone,
> >> they both said that the static IP addresses were not a problem and that
> >> the installation tech could help set that up as well as deal with
> >> blocked ports.
> >>
> >> They were right. Which was a surprise to me.
> >>
> >> Scott, the installation tech called me the morning of the installation
> >> to let me know he was on the way and he was delayed only slightly due to
> >> traffic. We discussed my needs for a few minutes and he assured me that
> >> we could do exactly what I needed. As a gamer, he was very
> knowledgeable
> >> and understood what I wanted and why.

> >> fine. The secret here is that the blocks are in the modem/router. Access
> >> the router using the web interface on the gateway IP and set the "Allow
> >> incoming connections" to on or enabled. I don't remember which. We
> >> figured this out while talking to the AT&T fee service which "unblocks"
> >> ports. They needed access to my computer but being Linux and paranoid
> >> there was no way. We discussed it and the guy on the other end said he

> > You lost me with knowledgeable AT&T technician. I still have not
> > recovered from that.

Wow!  You clearly won the lottery!

1. Did you get Scott's contact info?

2. Did you mean "static IP addresses" (plural)?  Or just one?

3. Were you promised that your 45.20.209.41 static IP would never change?

4. What model Arris gateway did they install?

5. How much are you paying, and how much of that is extra for the static IP
address(s)?

Thanks for the great, detailed debriefing.

Dave