[TriLUG] Spectrum vs AT&T

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 22 22:11:44 EST 2020

I will answer your questions in-line below as best I can.

On 1/22/20 6:37 PM, David Burton wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 9:32 AM Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG
> <trilug at trilug.org <mailto:trilug at trilug.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 9:21 AM David Both via TriLUG
>     <trilug at trilug.org <mailto:trilug at trilug.org>> wrote:
>     >> I had some concerns about needing static IP addresses and with
>     issues I
>     >> have seen with blocked ports like 25 for email. I run my own
>     web and
>     >> email servers so that was important to me. After a chat session
>     with a
>     >> fairly knowledgeable rep and talking with a sales person on the
>     phone,
>     >> they both said thatthe static IP addresses were not a problem
>     and that
>     >> the installation tech could help set that up as well as deal with
>     >> blocked ports.
>     >>
>     >> They were right. Which was a surprise to me.
>     >>
>     >> Scott, the installation tech called me the morning of the
>     installation
>     >> to let me know he was on the way and he was delayed only
>     slightly due to
>     >> traffic. We discussed my needs for a few minutes and he assured
>     me that
>     >> we could do exactly what I needed. As a gamer,he was very
>     knowledgeable
>     >> and understood what I wanted and why.

>     >> fine. The secret here is that the blocks are in the
>     modem/router. Access
>     >> the router using the web interface on the gateway IP and set
>     the "Allow
>     >> incoming connections" to on or enabled. I don't remember which. We
>     >> figured this out while talking to the AT&T fee service which
>     "unblocks"
>     >> ports. They needed access to my computer but being Linux and
>     paranoid
>     >> there was no way. We discussed it and the guy on the other end
>     said he

>     > You lost me with knowledgeable AT&T technician. I still have not
>     > recovered from that.
>

> Wow!  You clearly won the lottery!
Partly the fact that I had a good install tech plus asking questions
until I got the answers that gave me the clue about the modem/router
being the device doing the blocking. After that it was trivial.

> 1. Did you get Scott's contact info?
Yes. I do not feel comfortable giving it out, however.

> 2. Did you mean "static IP addresses" (plural)?  Or just one?
I have a block of 8 IP addresses with 5 usable for $15 per month.

> 3. Were you promised that your 45.20.209.41 static IP would never change?
I think that is the definition of static. DHCP might change but static
should never change.

> 4. What model Arris gateway did they install?
BGW210

> 5. How much are you paying, and how much of that is extra for the
> static IP address(s)?
$80 for the Gb fiber and $15 for the IP addresses per month. This is
about $45 less than Spectrum for much higher speeds.

> Thanks for the great, detailed debriefing.
You are welcome.

> Dave

David P. Both, RHCE
He/Him/His
www.both.org - My personal web site
www.Linux-Databook.info - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
The value of any software lies in its usefulness
not in its price.

— Linus Torvalds