[TriLUG] recommendations for UPS 12V batteries?

shay walters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 18 09:21:36 EDT 2020

   I usually get much longer lifetime than that with batteries I've used in
UPSs.  Seems like about 5 years is what I usually get.  I haven't had any
particular brand - I've gotten batteries from commercial supply places like
ADI (usually PowerSonic) and Interstate Battery (their house brand,
often).  The guys at Interstate told me several times that all the brands
are made in the same factory in China and have different brands printed on
them.   If you go to a commercial supply house, and if you work for a
company that has an account with them, you can ask them to write up the
sales ticket as a "cash ticket" for that company.  That way you get the
pricing that company gets but you still pay for it.
    One thing to watch out for is that a lot of places sell batteries with
the F1 terminal which is about 3/16" wide and most UPSs use batteries with
the F2 terminal which is 1/4" wide, so be sure you get the F2 terminal.  A
F1 battery will work, but the terminals don't fit as well and probably end
up with more voltage drop, especially over time.  Both the places I
mentioned above have both types, and if you're in a physical store you can
check out what you're getting.  Online, it's often not specified or
sometimes even specified incorrectly.
   Lately I've been getting batteries from Amazon with pretty good
results.  I check carefully for the F2 terminal listed in the write-up and
look for any reviews that say they received batteries with F1 connectors
when it was supposed to be F2.  I just got a couple of this model a few
days ago and it has the correct terminals  The description says "T2" rather
than "F2".  If I'm reading it right, the F2 is the male connector on the
battery and T2 is the female connector on the wire - whatever, it's the
right size.  They claim 9 AH rather than 7 AH which is standard for this
form factor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUGZMOE

-Shay