[TriLUG] recommendations for UPS 12V batteries?

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 18 12:11:06 EDT 2020

+1 for PowersonicFirst question: did the ten year battery come out of an identical UPS? My experience has been that poorly designed UPS electronics can be worse than the battery selection.  Years ago I instrumented a couple UPS devices to see how the behaved. I recall one that was in the wrong county with respect to float voltage. Too low and the electrodes accumulate sulphate and die. Too high and the water is disassociated and driven past the pressure release as gas, leaving the electrolyte short of ions. And the float voltage needs to be temperature compensated. It would be a pure hobby play, but making a crummy UPS optimal with some added smarts might be an antidote for cabin fever. You could start by just seeing what voltage the batteries are maintained at. Everything you need to now is on a web site called "battery university".Pete
-------- Original message --------From: Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> Date: 4/18/20  5:59 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: trilug at trilug.org Subject: [TriLUG] recommendations for UPS 12V batteries? I used to get them off ebay and they lasted a year.Then I've been getting them from Batteries Plus and they last 2 years.I've just had the batteries fail in another UPS and when I pull them out, I find that they've been in there for 10 years. They were made in Vietnam. (This is impressive. Even a car battery doesn't last that long.)Any recommendations for battery suppliers?Thanks Joe-- Joseph Mack NA3T EME(B,D), FM05lw North Carolinajmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistantmap generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtmlHomepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!-- This message was sent to: Pete Soper <pete at soper.us>To unsubscribe, send a blank message to trilug-leave at trilug.org from that address.TriLUG mailing list : https://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/trilugUnsubscribe or edit options on the web	: https://www.trilug.org/mailman/options/trilug/pete%40soper.usWelcome to TriLUG: https://trilug.org/welcome