[TriLUG] recommendations for UPS 12V batteries?

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 18 13:55:27 EDT 2020

On 4/18/20 10:57 AM, shay walters via TriLUG wrote:

> Well, at least all the batteries that Interstate Battery sold.  :-)  The
> ones from Amazon that I mentioned in my last message are AGM (Absorbed
> Glass Mat) type.  I suppose that they have the higher amp-hour rating
> because of the change in technology over the gelled electrolyte of older
> batteries.

This is a good point. There are differences in type and, to a degree,
the charger may be designed with a type in mind. So AGM is different
from a car battery with respect to charging/discharging strategy details
for maximum life, for example.

I was given a bunch of UPS batteries following a dumpster dive by a
buddy who worked at Cree some years ago. I failed to get a float charger
set up for them because at a crucial moment I discovered why my fuse
circuit design was flawed, melted a whole bunch of wire, including what
I was holding, and came close to setting fire to my carpet, all faster
than you can say "Jack Robinson". Current can be just as dangerous as
voltage. So, if anybody's short on lead sulphate, I've got you covered.

-Pete