[TriLUG] recommendations for UPS 12V batteries?

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Apr 20 08:34:54 EDT 2020

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020, Paul Holzworth wrote:

> Joe,

Hi Paul,

funny to hear from you on the mailing list.

> It has also been my experience that the UPS probably makes more difference
> than the battery brand. The cheap ones have cheap charger circuitry that just
> cooks the battery by continuing to overcharge the battery.

I'm not surprised. The batteries that fail in 2 years are always hot and swollen
when I take them out.

The ones that came out of the UPS that were 10 years old were at room temp and
not swollen.

> I also get my UPS’s as non-working ones that almost always recover with a new
> set of batteries.

that's where I got all my APC UPSs - off Craigslist.

> People price out the batteries and just don’t want to spend 3/4 the price of a
> new UPS on a battery.

I think the same way myself.

> However, that can work in your favor because a non-working quality UPS doesn’t
> cost any more than a non-working cheap one.  I also second Batteries-Plus as a
> supplier

that's good to hear. They give me good service, so I'm happy to send them money
and to keep them as a local resource. They're closer to me than my grocery
store, so they're very handy. However I baulk at paying 33% more than I do at
Amazon.

> and if you are associated with some company with an account, you can
> get a significant discount by paying cash and just glomming off of their
> account. This is particularly significant with the larger, more expensive
> batteries.  Batteries Plus usually offers a discount if you buy online and
> pickup at the store.

didn't know that.

> Just a thought to the Executive Board.  A Trilug discount with Batteries Plus
> would be a win for them and for us. I suspect our members use a
> disproportionate amount of batteries compared to their average customer.

+1

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml