[TriLUG] a long read on how we got where we are with systemd

Cristóbal Palmer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 7 13:29:20 EDT 2020

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 2:49 AM Steve Litt via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> My, that guy loves to hear himself talk. I didn't understand a lot of
> it, but I noticed a few things:

All authors have biases, and highlighting lacunae in a large work can
be helpful to other readers, but if you're going to be dismissive of
somebody's work, it behooves you to be careful in your criticism.

> 2) He mentioned daemontools only in passing. In around 2007 I was
>    spawning daemontools *process supervision* from sysvinit's
>    /etc/inittab, and slowly moving sysvinit control of daemons to
>    daemontools, because I preferred daemontools to sysvinit. I had
>    never heard of systemd.

This is because systemd didn't exist before 2010. You may want to
re-read, this time paying more attention to the many links to
contemorpaneous writing throughout.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer