[TriLUG] a long read on how we got where we are with systemd

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 7 02:49:09 EDT 2020

On Mon, 4 May 2020 18:04:30 -0400
Cristóbal Palmer via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> https://blog.darknedgy.net/technology/2020/05/02/0/

My, that guy loves to hear himself talk. I didn't understand a lot of
it, but I noticed a few things:

1) If something didn't involve dbus, he really didn't pay much
   attention to it.

2) He mentioned daemontools only in passing. In around 2007 I was
   spawning daemontools *process supervision* from sysvinit's
   /etc/inittab, and slowly moving sysvinit control of daemons to
   daemontools, because I preferred daemontools to sysvinit. I had
   never heard of systemd.

3) He acts as if runit, s6, and the rest of the alternative supervisors
   and inits never existed.

4) Which isn't surprising, because this guy wrote uselessd in 2014: It
   was supposed to be just an init (init as in a category, not a lazy
   way of saying sysvinit) equivalent of systemd, without the
   gratuitous dependencies to things not having to do with pid1 or
   process supervision. Naturally, uselessd never took off: Nobody
   needed systemd's "features" and uselessd didn't have a megabillion
   corporation supporting it.

I'd think twice about using this as a "how did we get here" document,
because it consists of very selective reporting.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist