[TriLUG] booting off usbstick

via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 11 13:49:13 EDT 2020

I have successfully created many bootable USB drive with linux
installed there on using dd. See

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/creating-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-stick-on-a-debian-linux/

If the usb drive is, for example, /dev/sdb, make sure that name is
used in the command and NOT something like sdb1. The command takes a
long time to run because there's a lot to copy, so wait for the long
quiet time to end. This wipes out all info on the drive, so get it
correct! I have then gone back done such things as shrink the
partition with gparted and created a fat32 partition to move files to
an alternate OS.

Good luck

/Roger