[TriLUG] booting off usbstick

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 11 14:05:48 EDT 2020

This doesn't apply to you, Joe, but with Raspberry Pi it was (maybe
still is) trivial to boot off the default media and then hand off
everything else to another device. I wondered if this was what you were
out to do with what I guess is a typical PC 'cause it seems like a very
cool thing. Having root on the stick doesn't seem as cool to me but
cloning them is trivial with dd as Roger mentioned and the price can't
be beat these days. Hopefully the missing bits were the issue and you'll
be on your way now.

I recently bought a retail copy of Windows 10 on a "stick" and maybe I
can clone it with dd so I don't have to fret about my daughter losing it
(built a new machine for her to do graduate GIS work with). If this
works and I use a  stick with a lanyard thing on the end I can wire it
into the case so it cannot be lost. I want her to take that along with
her from new machine to new machine so the Microsoft purchase is
singleton. :-) Thanks for the serendipity!

-Pete