[TriLUG] Getting around ISP port blocks with VPN?

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 22 16:58:34 EDT 2020

Hey Gang,

I currently have business-class cable internet.  I've been thinking
about dumping it for residential fiber.  What I'm trying to figure out
is the best way to deal with possible port blocking that might be in
place on the residential services.  Having a secured tunnel to some
public interface out in the cloud somewhere seems like a possible
approach, but I don't really know what words to use to describe it to
Google well enough to find people selling such a thing.

Presently my home server/firewall simply has a public interface with
ports open for the services I host.  What I imagine is instead there
being a VPN (or some other secure tunnel) to a server in the cloud
somewhere through which all my server traffic (i.e. connections
initiated from outside) would be routed, thereby sidestepping any port
blocks on my local ISP.

Is this a thing?  What do you call it?  Does anybody on the list already
do something like this?

Thanks,
-Brian