[TriLUG] Getting around ISP port blocks with VPN?

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 22 17:10:19 EDT 2020

When I think of a VPN, I think of more of a one way interface, or a
many users to one IP output with port translation.  I don't really
think of a VPN as far as being used for an inbound interface and
suspect that most VPN services are not configured for that.

If you're going to go to a server in the cloud anyway, why not by an
inexpensive VHOST, like a Linode account and run your server there.
 You get the benefits of a static IPV4 address and no port blocking.
For what little it would cost, you would undoubtedly save money by
dumping business class Internet.

You could always tunnel your connection to your server via SSH or
something else like OpenVPN which also gets you around the issue of ISP
snooping and blocking.