[TriLUG] Getting around ISP port blocks with VPN?

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 23 09:17:35 EDT 2020

Managing persistent SSH tunnels from a cloud instance to your home, for
forwarding incoming traffic, would be quite a pain.  Lifting your
locally-hosted applications into the cloud is probably the right choice.

If you really do want to store the data locally but direct the traffic from
an external cloud instance (Linnode, AWS EC2, GCP GCP, etc) then you'd
probably want to use an IPSEC tunnel (GRE would be simpler, but the
security of IPSEC is cheap and useful).  Set up the cloud VM, then create
an IPSEC tunnel from it to your home, and use some basic iptables port
forwarding to get the traffic to flow from the cloud IP to your home.
Researching the details to build a working config is left as an exercise
for the reader.

As Michael points out, it's probably not necessary, as most residential
ISPs don't filter incoming traffic.  Do note that if you want to receive
mail on port 25, some cloud providers don't permit incoming connections to
port 25, as an antiabuse measure, so that plan might not work.

Best of luck!
Aaron S. Joyner