[TriLUG] SOLVED Re: booting off usbstick

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 23 17:16:18 EDT 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020, Bill Farrow via TriLUG wrote:

update:

Originally I booted off a lexar (usb2) stick in a usb2 port that the bios knows
about. This was as slow as a wet week and the latency when editing with vi was
enormous (doing line yank and move). This was mainly due to the lexar being a
very slow usb drive.

The machine has a usb3 card, so once the kernel is booted from the usb2 stick, I
can load the rootfs from a usb3 stick on the usb3 card. Once that's up and
running, I can pull the usb2 stick from the front panel. This arrangement is as
fast as running off a hard disk and stayed up till I shut it down (about a
week).

I found that I got near enough to the same speed by putting a usb3 stick into
the usb2 port on the front panel. It seems that the slow part is reading and
writing to the usb stick and not the usb2 interface.

Joe

> You should be able to make initrd copy the root filesystem into a RAM
> fs and mount that as the rootfs instead of the USB drive. Then
> periodically or manually sync the RAM fs with the USB drive so changes
> get preserved..

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml